Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kevin Youkilis, I Applaud You

There's an excellent feature in the Globe by Jackie MacMullen today on everyone's favorite first baseman/third baseman/emergency outfielder, and I urge everyone to check it out. Just to whet your appetite, here are some of the gems from the piece:

“He plays hard, puts the team in front of himself. I don’t know what else people want.’’ -Dustin Pedroia

“In 2006, I couldn’t understand why he could be 2 for 2, then line out and the world was going to end. He’s matured since then.’’ -Mikey Lowell

[On his 2008 brawl with Manny Ramirez in the dugout] “It wasn’t cool when I got hit in the chin. He said some stuff. I said some stuff. What I should have said was I couldn’t play in the outfield for him the next time he came up with a sore hamstring. Manny can’t understand where I’m coming from. He wasn’t an eighth-round pick. He didn’t have everyone doubting him. Manny works hard. Real, real hard. But it also comes very naturally to Manny. Nothing came naturally to me. We have two different approaches to the game. Winning and losing isn’t life and death to Manny.’’ - Kevin Youkilis

[Youk and Manny being separated in the dugout... The Mayor-who is featured in the Globe piece-is trying to calm things down.]

“You can’t get no better than Youk. If you don’t want to play with a guy like that, then there’s something wrong with you.’’ - David Ortiz

“Kevin would have played for a six-pack of beer." - Mike Youkilis [Kevin's father]

Now, of course, Youk doesn't have to settle for beer... he gets the good stuff (and then pours it on Julio Lugo's error prone head, as a good American should).

Disclaimer: All quotes are attributed to Jackie MacMullen and the Boston Globe... I can only DREAM to someday have this kind of access.

No comments:

Post a Comment