Sunday, May 26, 2013

The hazards of fatherhood


On the list of reasons why a pitcher can have his start skipped, sleeping wrong because of his infant daughter might simultaneously be one of the cutest and most infuriating. Apparently Clay Buchholz slept through the night cradling his young daughter in his arms after his last start, and it irritated his shoulder enough to warrant a skipped start tomorrow.

Needless to say, that's wicked cute. I don't even want kids, and I still find dads with babies to be adorable - and though I have a hard time reconciling what I see of Buchholz on the field with someone who dotes on a baby, it's at least reassuring that there aren't any long term structural issues to worry about.

But I am somewhat annoyed - I mean, who wants to watch the enigmatic Alfredo Aceves try to get us a win in the first interleague game of season when we should be watching Buchholz go for his eighth win? The only silver lining is that I'm in a dead heat with this week's fantasy baseball opponent, and he has Buchholz on his roster.

Since Phillies' starter Tyler Cloyd has a 2.70 ERA to Aceves 8.20, tomorrow's game might be a rough one. But that's the beauty of baseball: on any given day, any pitcher can beat any other pitcher, and any team can beat any other team - and the only way to know for sure is to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment