Monday, May 27, 2013

My apologies to Alfredo Aceves


I'd like to take this moment to offer a sincere apology to Alfredo Aceves. In yesterday's post, I insinuated that his performance in tonight's game would be inferior to the start that we were supposed to have from Clay Buchholz - and I stand by that assertion, as Clay has been phenomenal this season. However, I also suggested that Aceves would be unable to pitch the Red Sox to a win, and I couldn't have been more wrong.

Aceves scattered seven hits over six innings, allowing just a single run from the Phillies (a homer) and striking out four. Despite my disparaging remarks about the unpredictable Aceves, he pitched well and made some pretty good plays defensively, as well as one pretty egregious error. The Red Sox bats got to Phillies' starter Tyler Cloyd early and often, tagging the righthander for six runs in just two and a third innings, and getting deep into the bullpen.

The visiting Phillies needed six pitchers to get through the game, putting some serious strain on the bullpen in the very first game of the series. Despite the fact that this series is just two games long, the Red Sox will head to Philadelphia for another two-game set directly after this one, and it bodes well that the Phillies' bullpen has already been seriously tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment