Monday, August 9, 2010

Save us, Jon!


Has anyone ever noticed how many Red Sox possess some form of the name "Jon?" There's Jon Lester, Jonathan Papelbon, John Lackey, and John Farrell... And guess what the "J" in JD Drew stands for? Yes, Jonathan (his name is, in fact, David Jonathan, so I'm not sure how he came up with JD, but I digress).

Does one of these players hold the key to salvaging the season? I'm temped to say it's John Farrell, since he has influence over so many of the players, but in the end these are grown men who are responsible for their own performances.

Personally, I'm hoping they ALL turn it up a notch and start getting it done, starting with Jon Lester's start this afternoon.

Lester is 4-1 against the Yankees in his career, with a 4.01 ERA in ten games; in 2010, he is 1-0 with a 4.50 ERA in two starts. Take from that what you will, but Jon's not been at his best since the All-Star break.

Sometimes the rivalry is just what a pitcher needs to turn it on, and I hope he can... because I'm not sure those other Jons can go it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment