Friday, June 10, 2011

Winning: The Ultimate Revenge

Okay, I'll admit it: like many of you, I'm sure, I went to bed before the Red Sox were done with their game last night.  After a 3 1/2 hour rain delay, the game finally got started when it should have been ending, and I only made it through six innings before my eyes started drooping and I went to sleep. 

Sadly, I surrendered just one inning too early.  When I left at the end of six, the Sox were trailing 0-2, and by the end of the seventh, they had exploded for eight hits and seven runs in the seventh inning.  David Ortiz had a single and an RBI double, notching his own personal payback for being beaned by CC Sabathia earlier in the game.

 
Ortiz didn't blame Sabathia for the HBP, which isn't terribly surprising considering the two are friendly.  What is interesting is that Papi blamed the media for getting plunked.  Until last night, Ortiz had made it 160 games against the Bronx Bombers without getting hit by a pitch, and that fact was well publicized. 

To be perfectly honest, after Beckett hit Captain Jetes and A*Rod early on, I fully expected Youk to bear the brunt of Yankee payback - he's traditionally been their favorite target.  [However, I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Joba Chamberlain, Youk's usual tormenter, is on the DL.]  It was pretty obvious that both of Beckett's HBP were accidental, and he made sure to speak to Umpire Hunter Wendelstedt and make sure he would still be able to pitch inside.

On the other hand, despite the fact that Sabathia claimed the ball simply "got away" from him, his control had been pinpoint until that moment;  it was payback, plain and simple.  I'm okay with it, though... the Red Sox got the last word, pulling 2 games ahead of the Yankees in the division, and gaining a commanding 8-1 lead in the season series.

No comments:

Post a Comment