Thursday, February 14, 2013

I'll love Youk forever


"I'll always be a Red Sock," Youkilis said. "To negate all the years I played for the Boston Red Sox, and all the tradition, you look at all the stuff I have piled up at my house and to say I'd just throw it out the window, it's not true." -[via the Boston.com Extra Bases blog]


I went to Seaworld Orlando today with the friend that I'm visiting, and I saw a gentleman walking around the park wearing a Kevin Youkilis Boston Red Sox away jersey. It was a strangely emotional moment for me, as a lifelong Kevin Youkilis fan - I've kept my various pieces of Youk attire, but I don't plan to wear them while he's a member of the Yankees.


I was sad when Youkilis got traded last summer, though I recognized that it was Middlebrooks' turn and probably in everyone's best interest. It's slightly more difficult to fins the words to describe my range of emotions about Youk signing with the Yankees this offseason. I understood why he went there: a one year deal at that kind of money and I would probably sign with the Yankees and never look back.


It is nice to hear Youkilis' assurance that he won't be forsaking his Red Sox legacy just because he's in pinstripes; he'll certainly have to contribute a lot right away for Yankees fans to do anything more than tolerate him. I know a lot of you out there in Red Sox Nation have practically disowned Youkilis, but I'll always keep a place for him in my heart - even though he's reportedly shaved his famous goatee and adjusted his iconic batting stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment